Known for his wrestling, Jimmy Lawson showed there was more to his game on his LFA debut on Friday.
At LFA 114, Lawson (3-1) extended his streak of victories and finals to three with a brutal knockout of 18 seconds against former Bellator Anthony Garrett. The event took place at The Factory at the District in St. Louis and was broadcast on UFC Fight Pass.
Lawson, a former Penn State University wrestler, pulled out the guns. He swung wildly to Garrett (6-4), who timidly retreated to try to avoid danger. That attempt failed, however, as Garrett encountered a powerful right hand that crumpled him against the cage – and that was it.
– UFC BATTLE PASS (@UFCFightPass) August 28, 2021
Since beginning his transition to MMA, Lawson has spent time developing in some of the best gyms in the United States. Originally with the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), Lawson also spent time in Nick Catone’s MMA & Fitness.
In 2019, Lawson lost his professional debut to Said Sowma, who is now at Bellator, by unanimous decision. In defeat he also lost on a slot machine in Dana White’s Contender series, Season 2. Since then, Lawson has won his next three pro fights via TKO or KO with two wins in Ring of Combat ahead of his LFA debut on Friday.
The latest LFA 114 results include:
- Jimmy Lawson beat. Anthony Garrett via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:18
- Joseph Holmes beat. DeWayne Diggs via Submission (Naked Rear Choke) – Round 2, 2:48
- Ben Bennett beat. Elmar Umarov via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:58
- William Starks beat. Irfan Mulabitinovic via Submission (Naked Rear Choke) – Round 2, 4:16