Henson versus Metcalf; Lowney v. Hall
Fan voting is on and the semi-finals have been set for USA Wrestling’s 32-athlete interactive field with the top Junior Greco-Roman competitors from the past 50 years of Junior National Championships.
This vote is based solely on their national junior freestyle careers and should not reflect their Greco-Roman success, nor their collegiate and international results.
Sam Henson (MO) over Adam Coon (IM), 51%-49%
Brent Metcalf (MI) over Justin Ruiz (UT), 60%-40%
Garrett Lowney (WI) over Andre Metzger (MI), 53%-47%
Dennis Hall (WI) over Brandon Paulson (MN), 59%-41%
This sets up a competitive semi-final with voting starting today (July 5) and taking place over all four days.
Semi-final pairings, with number of national junior freestyle titles
Sam Henson (MO, 2x) vs. Brent Metcalf (IM, 3x)
Garrett Lowney (WI, 2x) vs. Dennis Hall (WI, 3x)
Notes after the quarter-finals.
* Two three-time Michigan Greco-Roman Junior National Champions were defeated in the quarterfinals: Michigan’s Adam Coon and Michigan’s Andre Metzger. Coon lost to a brace to Sam Henson of Missouri. Metzger lost to a brace to Wisconsin’s Garrett Lowney.
* Wisconsin is the only state with a pair of semi-finalists: Garrett Lowney and Dennis Hall. They face off in the lower semi-finals of the Fantasy bracket. Both have won Olympic medals: Lowney a bronze medal in 2000 and Hall a silver medal in 1996. They were also teammates on the 2004 Olympic team. Hall also won a world title in 1995 and a world bronze in 1994.
* The top Fantasy bracket semi-final includes two athletes who went on to play for the United States at the senior level (but freestyle). Sam Henson was the 1998 world champion, 2000 Olympic silver medalist and 2006 world bronze medalist in freestyle. Metcalf has made four US World Senior Freestyle Teams. Henson was a US Open Greco-Roman champion before switching to freestyle completely.
* Henson and Metcalf were two-time NCAA champions, Henson for Clemson and Metcalf for Iowa. Lowney was an NCAA All-American for Minnesota. Hall attended Wisconsin as a freshman, then decided to focus 100% on Greco-Roman and did not pursue a career in the college folk style.
* Hall and Henson won Junior National Greco-Roman Championships in different weight classes in 1987 and 1988.
Here are the semi-final wrestlers in alphabetical order, with their state affiliation and the years they won national junior men’s freestyle titles.
Dennis Hall, Wisconsin (1987, 1988, 1989)
Sam Henson, Missouri (1987, 1988)
Garrett Lowney, Wisconsin (1997, 1998)
Brent Metcalf, Michigan (2003, 2004, 2005)
The rest of the voting schedule follows:
• Voting on the semi-finals will begin on Tuesday 5 July
• Voting on the final will begin on Saturday July 9
The first U.S. Junior National Wrestling Championships were held at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse in 1971 and were contested only in men’s freestyle. Greco-Roman wrestling was added in 1972. With the 2020 event canceled due to the pandemic, this year’s version will be the 50th time our country’s top high school Greco-Roman wrestlers will come together to fight for national titles and All-American honors. Many world and Olympic champions and medalists have participated in this prestigious event.
The 2022 USA Wrestling USMC Junior and 16U National Championships will be held at the FargoDome in Fargo, ND, July 16-22, featuring men’s freestyle, Greco-Roman and women’s freestyle competition.
HOW TO VOTE
When you click, you will see support. To vote, click the “Cast Vote Now” button at the top of the bracket. You will be taken to a screen where you will see each pairing and you can click on a box to vote for the winner. You must enter your email to vote.