The Round of 16 results are from the 50th Greco-Roman Fantasy installment of the National Junior Championships; Round of 16 fan voting is now open
The round of 32 was completed in USA Wrestling’s interactive 32-athlete pool with the top Junior Nationals Greco-Roman competitors from the past 50 years of the Junior Nationals., with the round of 16 pairings and voting underway at from today.
This vote is based solely on their national junior freestyle careers and should not reflect their Greco-Roman success, nor their collegiate and international results.
There was a huge upset in the first round, as two-time Junior Nationals champion and three-time runner-up Taylor LaMont of Utah won the fan vote over No. 1 seed Oscar Wood of Oregon, the only quadruple national junior Greco-Roman championship. champion of history.
Round of 16 results
Taylor LaMont (UT) Dec. Oscar Wood (GOLD), 55%-45%
Sam Henson (MO) Dec. Cody Sanderson (UT), 77%-23%
TJ Hill (MO) Dec. Dave Powell (Illinois), 86%-14%
Adam Coon (MI) Dec. Josh McLay (MN), 91%-9%
Steve Knight (IA) Dec. Cam Jones (Utah), 56%-44%
Justin Ruiz (UT) Dec. Jason Powell (agree), 67%-33%
Brent Metcalf (MI) Dec. Matt Goldstein (Illinois), 95%-5%
Kendick Sanders (FL) Dec. Anthony Cassioppi (IL), 70%-30%
André Metzger (MI) dec. Ridge Lovett (ID), 71%-29%
Pat Lynch (NJ) Dec. Khris Whelan (IL), 74%-26%
Kenny Cox (OR) Dec. Sam Shields-Colbray (GOLD), 72%-28%
Garrett Lowney (WI) Dec. David Kjeldgaard (AI), 66% -34%
Brandon Paulson (MN) Dec. Dan Knight (IA), 86% -14%
Sean Hage (LW) Dec. Leo Bailey (agree), 62%-38%
Matt Nagel (MN) Dec. Bobby Janisse (GOLD), 72% -28%
Dennis Hall (WI) Dec. Mitchell McKee (MN), 82%-18%
This sets up a competitive round of 16, with voting starting today (June 27) and taking place over all four days.
Round of 16 pairings, with number of national junior freestyle titles
Taylor LaMont (UT, 2x) vs. Sam Henson (MO, 2x)
TJ Hill (MO, 3x) vs. Adam Coon (IM, 3x)
Steve Knight (IA, 2x) vs. Justin Ruiz (UT, 2x)
Brent Metcalf (IM, 3x) vs. Kendick Sanders (FL, 3x)
Andre Metzger (IM, 3x) vs. Pat Lynch (NJ, 2x)
Kenny Cox (GOLD, 3x) vs. Garrett Lowney (WI, 2x)
Brandon Paulson (MN, 2x) vs Sean Hage (LW, 3x)
Matt Nagel (MN, 3x) vs Dennis Hall (WI, 3x)
Notes after the first round
• Michigan has the most Greco-Roman wrestlers in the round of 16, with Adam Coon, Brent Metcalf and Andre Metzger. The three surviving Michigan wrestlers were three-time junior Greco-Roman champions. (They all also won Junior freestyle titles).
• Three states have two advanced wrestlers: Missouri (Sam Henson and TJ Hill), Wisconsin (Garrett Lowney and Dennis Hall) and Minnesota (Brandon Paulson and Matt Nagel).
• Three of the second round matches feature a pair of three-time champions.
– TJ Hill (MO, 3x) vs. Adam Coon (IM, 3x)
– Brent Metcalf (IM, 3x) vs. Kendick Sanders (FL, 3x)
– Matt Nagel (MN, 3x) vs Dennis Hall (WI, 3x)
• The University of Minnesota is the only university with multiple athletes in the round of 16, including three: Brandon Paulson, Garrett Lowney and Matt Nagel.
• The only six-time national junior champions, Sean Hage (GA) and Brent Metcalf (MI) are still alive in the Greco-Roman group. Both won three junior national titles in Greco-Roman wrestling and three in freestyle.
Here are the second-round wrestlers in alphabetical order, along with their state affiliation and the years they won the national junior Greco-Roman titles.
Adam Coon, Michigan (2011, 2012, 2013)
Kenny Cox, Oregon (1994, 1995, 1996)
Dennis Hall, Wisconsin (1987, 1988, 1989)
Sean Hage, Georgia (1993, 1994, 1995)
Sam Henson, Missouri (1987, 1988)
TJ Hill, Missouri (1995, 1996, 1997)
Steve Knight, Iowa (1981, 1982)
Taylor LaMont, Utah (2014, 2016)
Garrett Lowney, Wisconsin (1997, 1998)
Pat Lynch, New Jersey (1990, 1991)
Brent Metcalf, Michigan (2003, 2004, 2005)
Andre Metzger, Michigan (1976, 1977, 1978)
Matt Nagel, Minnesota (1999, 2000, 2001)
Brandon Paulson, Minnesota (1989, 1992)
Justin Ruiz, Utah (1997. 1998)
Kendrick Sanders, Florida (2007, 2008, 2009)
The rest of the voting schedule follows:
• Voting on the round of 16 will begin on Monday 27 June
• Voting on the quarter-finals will begin on Friday July 1
• Voting on the semi-finals will begin on Tuesday 5 July
• Voting on the final will begin on Saturday July 9
The first U.S. Junior National Wrestling Championships were held at the University of Iowa Fieldhouse in 1971 and were contested only in men’s freestyle. Greco-Roman wrestling was added in 1972. With the 2020 event canceled due to the pandemic, this year’s version will be the 50th time our country’s top high school Greco-Roman wrestlers will come together to fight for national titles and All-American honors. Many world and Olympic champions and medalists have participated in this prestigious event.
The 2022 USA Wrestling USMC Junior and 16U National Championships will be held at the FargoDome in Fargo, ND, July 16-22, featuring competition in Men’s Freestyle, Greco-Roman and Women’s Freestyle.
HOW TO VOTE
When you click, you will see support. To vote, click the “Cast Vote Now” button at the top of the bracket. You will be taken to a screen where you will see each pairing and you can click on a box to vote for the winner. You must enter your email to vote.